Volunteer: Trail Brushing and Invasives Removal at Ihiya Biological Preserve
The Ihiya Biological Preserve on San Juan Island is a lovely pocket of natural habitat for diverse native plant and animal species. It is located directly adjacent to the Town of Friday Harbor’s protected Trout Lake watershed (the source of the town’s drinking water). A year-round branch of False Bay Creek drains from Trout Lake, meanders through the Ihiya Preserve, then crosses the San Juan County Conservation Land Bank’s nearby King Sisters Preserve, flows into Zylstra Lake, and eventually enters the Salish Sea at the University of Washington’s False Bay Marine Preserve.
For this volunteer outing, we will focus on brushing the trail for the summer season, pulling thistle along the path, and transporting materials for a bench and a deterrent fence that we will construct if time permits. San Juan Island Land Steward Ben Hallowell will lead and Jack Russillo, Volunteer and Outreach Coodinator, will support.
The grounds are relatively flat, but will likely be very muddy and puddled in some areas where we are working, so we highly recommend rubber boots. SJPT will supply necessary tools and some snacks, but feel free to bring your own hand clippers or other tools.
Please bring your own lunch and arrange your own transportation to Red Mill Farm. We'll plan to meet there and carpool out to the Ihiya Preserve together.
- Date: Friday, May 12, 2023
- Time: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Location: Ihiya Biological Preserve on San Juan Island (meet at Red Mill Farm, 290 Valley Farms Road)
- Bring: Weather-appropriate clothing and footwear, sun protection as needed, work gloves, water, lunch
- Questions? Email Jack Russillo, SJPT Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator
- This event is limited to the first 10 people who sign up. (You can join the waiting list when you sign up if capacity has been reached. If there are cancellations, we will contact the next in line as soon as possible.)
- All participants are required to sign an SJPT liability waiver. Please ensure that everyone you register, including yourself, has filled out our online waiver in English or en Español (required as part of the registration process).
|Neon CRM by Neon One|